American Airlines Cheap Flights and Airline Tickets
American Airlines is one of the world's largest airline by size, revenue, and the number of passengers carried. It is a founding member of Oneworld, the third largest airline alliance in the world with partners like British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair. The airline offers flights to 350 destinations in 50 countries around the world, averaging nearly 6,700 flights each day.
American Airlines was founded in 1926 as a mail carrier with its first flight by Charles Lindbergh. Eight years later, the company switched revenue sources from mail to passengers and has since grown through various mergers with other airlines. Today, American Airlines operates out of ten hubs located from shore to shore in the United States, with its main headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas. Other hubs include Charlotte, Chicago-O'Hare, Philadelphia, Miami, Phoenix-Sky Harbor, Washington, DC-National, Los Angeles, New York-JFK, and New York-LaGuardia.
The airline ranks 9th among global airlines for on-time arrival performance. Of its more than 180,000 flights each month, 80% arrive within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time.
American Airlines Cheap Flight Sales
Visit our updated American Airlines Flash Sale page for more information and limited-time offers.
American Airlines Domestic Flights:
- Salt Lake City, Utah - The airline offers 184 flights each month to Salt Lake City for as little as $104. The flight time is 2 hours and 50 minutes.
- Los Angeles, California - For just $55, fly to Los Angeles and arrive in 3 hours and 30 minutes. Choose from 356 flights per month.
- Minneapolis/St.Paul, Minnesota - With 128 flights per month, arrive in Minneapolis/St.Paul in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Find tickets for only $70.
- New York City, New York - Arrive in New York City in 3 hours and 13 minutes on any of the 404 flights each month. Fly for just $90.
- Chicago, Illinois - For $45, fly to Chicago on one of 328 flights per month. Arrive in 2 hours and 14 minutes.
- Miami, Florida - Fly from Dallas to Miami for as low as $50 and arrive in 2 hours and 41 minutes. The carrier offers 280 flights per month on the route.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Fly to Philadelphia in just 3 hours and 4 minutes on any of the 244 monthly flights. Tickets start at only $45.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma - Book a nonstop flight to Tulsa for as little as $75 and arrive in 1 hour and 7 minutes. Choose from 200 flights per month.
- Denver, Colorado - American flies from Dallas to Denver 232 times each month with a flight time of 2 hours and 3 minutes. Find tickets for around $73.
- Savannah, Georgia - Choose from 52 monthly flights to Savannah for just $218. Arrive in 2 hours and 26 minutes.
American Airlines International Flights:
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - Fly to Puerto Vallarta on one of 84 flights per month for $272. The flight time is 2 hours and 46 minutes.
- Bogota, Colombia - Head south to Bogota for as low as $493 and arrive in 5 hours and 20 minutes. The airline offers 30 flights per month.
- San Jose, Costa Rica - Choose from 30 flights each month to San Jose for $516. Arrive in 4 hours and 6 minutes.
- London, England - Fly from Dallas to London on any of the 68 flights per month and arrive in 8 hours and 55 minutes. Fly roundtrip for $1,230.
- Paris, France - For as little as $1,309, fly nonstop to Paris with a flight time of 9 hours and 15 minutes. The airline offers 16 flights every month.
- Seoul, South Korea - Choose from 30 monthly flights to Seoul and arrive in 14 hours and 30 minutes. Find tickets for as low as $1,167.
- Tokyo, Japan - Arrive in Tokyo in just 13 hours and 35 on any of the 56 nonstop flights each month for $1,869.
- Shanghai, China - Book a roundtrip flight to Shanghai for just $1,000 with a flight time of 15 hours and 30 minutes. The carrier flies to the city 30 times per month.
- Frankfurt, Germany - The airline offers 24 monthly flights to Frankfurt for as little as $1,057 roundtrip. Arrive in 9 hours and 35 minutes.
- Madrid, Spain - Fly to Madrid on one of 20 flights each month in just 9 hours for $1,136.
American Airlines Major Airport Hubs:
- Boston Logan International Airport; Boston, Massachusetts - American Airlines is located in Terminal B.
- Los Angeles International Airport; Los Angeles, California - American Airlines is located in Terminal 4.
- Philadelphia International Airport; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - American Airlines is located in Terminals A-East, A-West, B, C, and F.
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport; Atlanta, Georgia - American Airlines is located in the main terminal.
- Heathrow Airport; London, England - American Airlines is located in Terminal 3.
- LaGuardia Airport; New York, New York - American Airlines is located in Terminal B.
- O'Hare International Airport; Chicago, Illinois - American Airlines is located on the lower level of Terminal 3.
- Miami International Airport; Miami, Florida - American Airlines is located at Concourse D.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport; Washington, D.C. - American Airlines is located in Terminals B and C.
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport; Raleigh, North Carolina - American Airlines is located in the Main Terminal.
With 948 active aircraft, American Airlines operates the largest fleet of any airline in the world. The carrier uses a mix of Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, and McDonnell Douglas models, including:
- Airbus - A319, A320, A321, A321 Transcon, A330-200, and A330-300
- Boeing - 737 MAX, 737-800, 757-200, 767-300, 777-200ER, 777-300ER, 787-8, and 787-9
- CRJ - CRJ-700, CRJ-900, CRJ-200
- Dash 8 - Dash 8-100, Dash 8-300
- ERJ - ERJ-140, ERJ-145, ERJ-175
- Other - E190, MD80
Ready to fly with American Airlines? Book cheap flights for free at Skyscanner. Search flights by destination online or on the mobile app. Save even more when you search by cheapest month or sign up for price alerts.
Loyalty Programs (AAdvantage), Discounts and Miles Promotions
American Airlines offers a free customer loyalty program called AAdvantage. Members of the program can earn miles when they fly on American or other Oneworld airlines, as well as when they use services from participating shopping or dining partners. Members can even buy miles by using an eligible AAdvantage credit card.
Miles can be redeemed for a variety of benefits and privileges, including award travel and flight upgrades. Use the miles to book a trip or move up to the next cabin class on most domestic and international flights. Members can even redeem the miles for car rentals, hotels stays, and vacations in over 500 destinations around the world. Miles can also be donated or used for magazine and newspaper subscriptions, gift cards, or identity theft protection.
AAdvantage members can reach Elite Status with qualifying dollars, miles, or segments on eligible-fare tickets. Elite Status members can earn even more benefits as they move up through the tiers of the program:
- AAdvantage Gold members will receive complimentary auto-requested upgrades on flights under 500 miles, 40% elite mileage bonus, 50% of Main Cabin Extra Seats, complimentary preferred seating, and one free checked bag.
- AAdvantage Platinum members will receive complimentary auto-requested upgrades on flights under 500 miles, 60% elite mileage bonus, complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats, and two free checked bags.
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro members will receive complimentary auto-requested upgrades, 80% elite mileage bonus, complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats, and two free checked bags.
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum members will receive 4 one-way systemwide upgrades, complimentary auto-requested upgrades, 120% mileage bonus, complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats, and three free checked bags.
How to Check In, Seating Assignment, Leg Room and Other Fees
American Airlines offers online check-in beginning 24 hours before the scheduled departure. Online check-in closes 45 minutes prior to domestic flights and 90 minutes before international flights. The check-in process online is simple through the airline's website.
Passengers who wish to check in at the airport may do so up to 45-60 minutes before departure, although some departure airports require more time. The airline recommends arriving at the airport at least one hour and 30 minutes before domestic travel and two hours for international flights. After check-in, passengers will check baggage and clear security, so you'll want to make sure you have plenty of time.
American Airlines allows passengers to choose their seats in most cases, but there are times when the seats will be assigned at check-in. The carrier may withhold some seats until the day of departure to best accommodate passengers. Economy Class passengers will enjoy a seat pitch of 30-32 inches, while Business and First Class passengers can relax comfortably with 38-40 inches of legroom or a lie-flat seat.
Baggage Allowance and Fees
American Airlines allows all passengers to bring one carry-on bag and one personal item on all flights. The maximum dimensions for personal items are 18x14x8 inches and must fit in the seat in front of you. Certain infant necessities and medical equipment are also allowed as needed. Carry-on bags may not exceed 22x14x9 inches and must fit in the sizer at the airport. Bags that do not fit in the overhead bin or under the seat will need to be checked.
In some cases, passengers may qualify for free checked baggage, but there is a baggage fee for most flights to North America, Mexico, and Central America. On domestic routes, the first checked bag will be subject to a fee of $25. The second bag will be $35, the third bag will be $150, and all additional bags up to 10 will be $200 each. Transatlantic and Transpacific flight passengers may check at least one bag for free.
Checked baggage must not exceed 62 linear inches and 50lbs. for Economy Class passengers. Baggage that exceeds the allowed size or weight will be subject to an excess baggage fee. Bags that are larger than 62 linear inches will cost $150-$200 each way based on destination. Fees for overweight baggage will be assessed based on total weight and range from $100-$450.
Service On Board, In-flight Entertainment and Meals
American Airlines offers a wide variety of food and entertainment options to accommodate its guests in all cabins. Passengers in the Main Cabin can enjoy programming on their personal devices free of charge through the airline's mobile app. They could also choose from a large selection of entertainment options streamed on the back of the seat right in front of them. On many flights, the carrier also plays current movies, TV shows, and other popular clips on the overhead screens in the cabin.
Main Cabin passengers will also receive complimentary snacks and soft drinks or even full meals on transcontinental flights. Additional food and drinks are also available for purchase on many routes. Free snacks include Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels on flights over 250 miles. Business Class and First Class passengers can enjoy premium meals and a selection of award-winning wines.
Child Fairs/Fees, Minor Service Guidelines
American Airlines allows all children ages seven days and older to travel on both domestic and international flights. Infants under the age of two may travel on either an adult's lap or in a designated seat. Infants traveling on an adult's lap may be required to have a ticket purchased at a discounted fare. Infants traveling in their own seat must have a ticket and must be in a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The airline also allows children ages 5-14 to travel alone on many flights with the purchased Unaccompanied Minor Service. The service is $150 per family, per way and includes supervision from boarding until drop-off at the destination. Please note that children ages 5-7 can only travel alone on nonstop or direct flights. The service is also available but optional for minors ages 15-17.
American Airlines allows pets to travel on most flights less than 12 hours. Pets may travel in the cabin for a fee of $125 per kennel per way. The animal must be at least eight weeks old and must stay in the kennel under the seat in front of you. Kennels may not exceed 19x13x9 inches, and pets should be able to stand up and move around comfortably.
Pets can also be checked as baggage for a fee of $200 per kennel. Each passenger can travel with up to two pets that are at least eight weeks old and have all necessary health certificates. Arrangement for pets must be made at least 48 hours before travel.
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.