Ethiopian Airlines Cheap Flights
Ethiopian Airlines was founded in 1945 and is the official flag carrier of Ethiopia. After purchasing five US Government surplus C-47 aircraft, the airline began weekly service with limited comforts. Within just a few years, the company expanded to have multiple aircrafts with more luxurious layouts. Today, Ethiopian Airlines has nearly 100 operating aircrafts in its fleet. The airline ranks 26th among global airlines for punctuality with nearly 80 percent of flights arriving on-time.
Where does Ethiopian Airlines Fly To?
Ethiopian Airlines offers flights to a wide variety of both domestic and international destinations. The carrier serves more African destinations than any other airline, with more than 20 domestic flights and more than 100 international destination options. There are more than 8,300 flights per month.
Ethiopian Airlines: Domestic Destinations Served
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport (ADD) is the largest and busiest airport in Ethiopia and is the main hub for Ethiopian Airlines. Using Skyscanner's flight search tool, book flights on the carrier from Addis Ababa to a number of domestic destinations, including:
- Arba Minch - Fly nonstop from the Ethiopian capital to Arba Minch in just an hour and 10 minutes with seven flights per week.
- Bahir Dar - Head northwest from Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar on one of 39 weekly flights from Ethiopian Air. Visit the city with a flight time of just an hour and an average ticket price of about $205.
- Gambella - If you'd like to head west to the Gambella region, Ethiopian Airlines offers 14 weekly flights from ADD. Fly nonstop in an hour and 15 minutes with flights departing in either the morning or afternoon.
- Dire Dawa - The airline offers 41 weekly flights from the capital city to Dire Dawa with an average flight time of an hour. Fly out any day of the week for around $160.
- Jimma - On Skyscanner, book a flight either midmorning or afternoon with 14 flights operating on the route from Addis Ababa to Jimma. Arrive in about an hour and 30 minutes for just $127.
- Lalibela - Ethiopian Airlines also offers flights to Lalibela located just north of ADD. Reach your destination in around an hour on any of the 21 flights operating on the route weekly for as low as $210.
- Asosa - With seven weekly flights from the capital to Asosa, head east on any afternoon and arrive in just an hour and 15 minutes.
- Jijiga - In just an hour and a half, you can arrive at Jijiga on one of 15 weekly flights from Addis Ababa.
- Gondar -Ethiopian Airlines offers 28 flights to the city of Gondar, with an average flight time of about an hour.
- Axum - Reach the city of Axum in just an hour and 30 minutes when you book a flight on Ethiopian Airlines at Skyscanner. Choose from 31 flights per week for as little as $275.
Ethiopian Airlines: International Destinations Served
From the hub at Addis Ababa, Ethiopian Airlines also serves 100 international destinations to major cities in Africa, Europe, America, the Middle East and Asia:
- Paris - Arrive at the City of Lights in just six hours and 40 minutes on one of 28 overnight flights per month to Charles de Gaulle Airport. Book a round-trip ticket for a little under $500.
- Frankfurt - Ethiopian Airlines offers 256 flights every month to Frankfurt. Fly nonstop and arrive in just seven hours and 10 minutes.
- New York - With an average ticket price of $841, fly to the Big Apple from Addis Ababa on one of 294 monthly flights. Book a one-stop flight and arrive in 17 hours and 45 minutes.
- Vienna - Ethiopian offers 134 flights every month from ADD to Vienna International. Arrive in just six hours and 49 minutes for about $550.
- Johannesburg - Head from the Ethiopian capital to Johannesburg, South Africa on one of 56 monthly scheduled flights. Fly for as little as $384 and reach your destination in about five hours and 25 minutes.
- Dubai - Enjoy a week of luxurious living with a trip to Dubai. Ethiopian Airlines offers 84 flights per month to the modern city for around $291, with an arrival time of four hours and 16 minutes.
- Hong Kong - Take an overnight journey from Addis Ababa to Hong Kong with 16 monthly flights and a flight time of about 10 hours. At Skyscanner, find tickets for as little as $900.
- Rome - Fly nonstop from ADD to Rome on one of 28 monthly flights and arrive in just six hours. Book early to find tickets for as low as $499.
- Dublin - Reach the Irish city in about eight hours with 20 monthly flights and an average price of around $1100.
- Milan - For a little over $700, fly from Addis Ababa to Milan and arrive in five hours and 40 minutes. Ethiopian Airlines offers 20 flights per month.
Major Airport Hubs Serviced
Ethiopian Airlines services a number of major airports located all over the world, including:
Ethiopian Airlines Fleet
Ethiopian Airlines has come a long way since its humble beginnings and currently operates the youngest fleet in Africa. The carrier has 95 operating passenger and cargo aircrafts with 61 aircrafts on order. For long-range passenger services, Ethiopian offers flights in the spacious Boeing B787-8 and Airbus A350-900XWB, as well as Boeing models B787-9, B777-300ER, B777-200LR, B767-300ER. For medium range flights, the airline uses either Boeing B737-800 or B737-700. For regional and domestic passenger services, Ethiopian has 19 Q400 Bombardier aircrafts.
Loyalty Programs, Discounts and Miles Promotions
Ethiopian Airlines offer a frequent flyer program called ShebaMiles that allows members to accumulate miles to earn tickets, upgrades, and other privileges. Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles is a free program in partnership with all Star Alliance member airlines and over 10 non-airline partners, including many hotels, restaurants, and stores. Members can earn and redeem miles anytime they use or frequent the companies in the program.
Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles has four tiers that allow its members to move up over time with loyalty benefits. At its basic Blue level, members can earn extra bag allowance and a digital card. Silver and Gold members receive a personalized luggage tag, the ability to earn bonus miles with Ethiopian, priority standby at the airport, and access to executive lounges at departing airports. Platinum members also receive advanced boarding, guaranteed seats, and three complimentary upgrades per flight sector. To sign up for ShebaMiles, simply visit the Ethiopian Airlines website and join in moments.
How to Check In, Seat Assignment, Leg Room and Other Fees
Ethiopian Airlines recommends arriving at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight or 4 hours when flying to the US. To check-in, passengers can either go directly to the counter or at a self-service kiosk. Simply find your booking by destination, flight number, or reservation code. Confirm details and receive a boarding pass that prints from the kiosk.
The seats in the economy class on Ethiopian flights offer sufficient space for most passengers, although you do have the option of booking an exit row seat if you prefer. Of course, the Cloud Nine first-class seats offer the most comfortable seating arrangments, with some aircraft models providing fully reclining flat seats for longer flights.
When booking a flight on Ethiopian Airlines, be sure to check your specific flight for baggage allowances and excess baggage fees. There is no reservation fee, although there is a service charge per way for unaccompanied minors, as well as a small fee for pets.
Baggage Allowance and Fees
Ethiopian Airlines' baggage allowance varies by flight and departing or destination city. Many flights allow 2 pieces up to 70.5lbs. or 3 pieces up to 50.7lbs. There will be a charge of $60 per bag for excess weight. A charge of $160-$200 per piece (bag) per way will also apply when traveling to or from Washington D.C., Los Angeles, and Newark.
Ethiopian Airlines ShebaMiles members are allowed additional baggage based on the passenger's tier level. Platinum members can bring two extra pieces up to 70lbs., while Gold and Silver members can bring one.
Service On Board: In-flight Entertainment and Meals
Ethiopian Airlines offers appropriate food and beverage options for your flight and vary by flight and class. In economy class, passengers can choose from a wide variety of complimentary drinks, from soft drinks and water to beer and fine red or white wines. On Ethiopian routes, passengers can even enjoy a national dish.
Passengers in the luxury class Cloud Nine can enjoy a wide selection of bread, desserts, fruit and cheese platters, and signature drinks. On long flights, Cloud Nine passengers can choose to watch movies or tv shows, or listen to audiobooks or music.
Child Fares/Fees, Minor Service Guidelines
Ethiopian Airlines considers children ages 5-11 years old traveling alone as unaccompanied minors. Children under the age of 5 are not permitted on any flight without an accompanying family member. Escort service is mandatory for all approved unaccompanied minors traveling on a code share flight, but parents do have the option to decline an escort if no special attention is required on Ethiopian flights. All minors ages 5-11 are subject to a mandatory service fee of $100-$200 per way.
Minors ages 12-17 flying on code share flights with no requested special attention or escort service are required to pay the full adult fare plus a service fee of $100. The service and fee are optional on Ethiopian flights.
Ethiopian Airlines accepts cats and dogs in the cabin or baggage compartment when in a container and accompanied by a passenger or shipped as cargo. Pets in the cabin must be in a box measuring smaller than 21.7x15.7x7.9in. Service animals and guard dogs may accompany a passenger free of charge, as long as advanced arrangements are made. Ethiopian Airlines accepts pets on all Q-400 aircrafts. You can make arrangements for pet carriages during your reservation. Service charges will apply and vary by flight.
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.