LIAT Airlines - Cheap Flights
LIAT (Leeward Islands Air Transport) has been flying passengers around the Caribbean since October, 1974. It is headquartered on Antigua but also has bases on the islands of Barbados and Trinidad.
LIAT flies turboprops, using a series introduced in 2007 by France and Italy by their joint venture known as ATR. Passengers riding on LIAT will enjoy flying on thoroughly modern propeller airplanes.
LIAT has an unfortunate reputation for delays, but this may be changing. In October 2017 its on-time performance was ranked 2nd in its class of regional airlines, being on time for more than 80% of its flights.
LIAT has alliances with Virgin Atlantic, JetBlue Airways and PAWA Dominica.
LIAT’s sole destination in the United States is the territory of Puerto Rico, where it flies to the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in San Juan.
LIAT Airline’s Top International Destinations
- Anguilla, The Valley: Clayton J. Lloyd International Airport
- Antigua, St. John’s: VC Bird International Airport
- Barbados, Seawell, Christ Church: Grantley Adams International Airport
- British Virgin Islands, Tortola: Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport
- Dominica, Roseau: Melville Hall Airport
- Grenada, St. George’s: Maurice Bishop International Airport
- Guadeloupe (France), Pointe-à-Pitre: Pointe-à-Pitre International Airport
- Guyana, Georgetown: Ogle Airport
- Nevis, Charlestown: Vance W. Armory International Airport
- Martinique (France), Fort-de-France: Martinique Aimé Césaire International Airport
- Saint Kitts, Basseterre: Robert L- Bradshaw International Airport
- Saint Lucia, Castries: George F. L. Charles Airport
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Kingstown: Argyle International Airport
- Sint Maarten, Philipsburg: Princess Juliana International Airport
- Trinidad, Port of Spain: Piarco International Airport
LIAT Airline’s Hubs
- VC Bird International Airport (ANU) in St. John’s, Antigua and Barbuda. This airport is situated about 5 miles northeast of St. John’s. All flights use the new, modern terminal, which opened in 2015.
- Grantley Adams International Airport (BGI), Seawell, Christchurch, Barbados. This airport is situated about 8 miles from downtown Bridgetown. The only airport in Barbados, many passengers use it as a stepping stone to other destinations in the Caribbean. The airport has two connected terminals.
- Piarco International Airport (POS), Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. This airport is situated about 19 miles east of Port of Spain. It has two terminals. The North terminal is used by most passengers while the South terminal is used for cargo, helicopters and private jets.
LIAT’s aircraft are modern turboprops manufactured by a joint venture between the French (company now known as Airbus) and Italy (company now known as Leonardo SpA). The ATR 600 series has been modernized for fuel efficiency and other aspects. LIAT currently flies these planes:
- ATR 42-600: 5 in service, each seats 48 passengers
- ATR 72-600: 5 in service; each seats 68 passengers
LIAT Airlines: Discounts and Promotions
LIAT does not have a loyalty program. It does have alliances with Virgin Atlantic, JetBlue Airways and PAWA Dominica.
At its website you can sometimes find discounts, for example on travel insurance.
LIAT Airlines: Check In, Seat Assignment, Leg Room and Other Fees
Checking in is done at the airport. LIAT recommends that you arrive at least 2 hours before your flight.
Only one class of seat is available; everyone flies economy. The planes too small to have exit rows in the middle; exits are at the front and the back of the plane. Seats in the very front may have additional legroom:
- ATR 72-600: seat pitch of 31 inches; seat width 17 inches
- ATR 42-600: seat pitch of 30 inches; seat width 17 inches
LIAT Airlines: Baggage Allowance and Fees
LIAT’s ATR turboprop aircraft have limited space, both in the cabin and in the hold. Hence, the bags that passengers may take is limited as well.
LIAT Carry-on Bags
- Carry-on bags can be no greater than 21 x 14 x 8 inches in size.
- The weight is limited to 15 pounds (7 kg).
- Items larger than this will be removed at the gate to be checked and passengers will be charged. If the hold is full, the bag may arrive on a later flight.
- Passengers may bring additional small items without being charged.
LIAT Checked Bags
Ticketed passengers are entitled to one checked bag, weighing not more than 50 pounds (23 kg) and not being larger than 62 inches (157 cm).
Infants riding on laps do not qualify for this baggage allowance. Children and infants with their own seats do qualify.
Passengers transferring from other airlines
LIAT has agreements with the following airlines with respect to baggage allowance:
- Jet Blue: one checked piece weighing a maximum 50 pounds, but infant luggage (one diaper bag, one stroller and one car seat) is permitted.
- Virgin Atlantic: Premium Economy passengers may bring two checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 50 pounds. Upper Class passengers may bring three checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds.
- British Airways: First Class/Club World passengers may bring three checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 50 pounds. World Traveler Plus passengers may bring two checked bags, each with a maximum weight of 50 pounds. World Traveler passengers may bring one checked bag, and a stroller and a car seat if traveling with an infant.
- Surfboards are not part of the normal checked baggage allowance but may be transported for $80 one way
- Surfboards are transported on a standby basis, must be properly packed and must not be longer than 73 inches
- Sporting equipment that can be packed to meet the weight and size limitations may be included in the regular checked baggage allowance
Fees for overweight and oversized bags apply. If you wish to transport something heavier or larger, contact LIAT Cargo.
LIAT Airlines: Service on Board
LIAT’s flights are short, but beverages and light meals are available on some of them.
LIAT’s inflight magazine, Zing: The Inflight Magazine for LIAT, THE Caribbean Airline, gives you insights into some of the specialties of the region.
LIAT Airlines: Child Fares/Fees and Unaccompanied Minor Service
Infants aged 7 days through 24 months may travel on the lap of an adult passenger. The cost of the infant’s fare is usually $10. The fare for infants is $20, due to taxes, for flights to and from Guadalupe, Martinique St. Thomas, St. Croix, San Juan, and Santo Domingo.
Infants traveling on laps do not receive a checked baggage allowance.
Only one infant may ride on the lap of an adult. A second infant must have his or her own seat (with appropriate restraints) and be at least six months old.
Children aged 2 through 11 are charged the price of tickets for children and must have their own seats. Passengers aged 12 and over must pay adult fares for tickets.
Unaccompanied Minors on LIAT
- Unaccompanied Minors between 5 and 11 must use LIAT’s Unaccompanied Minor program. It is also available (but not required) for passengers from 12 to 15
- A UM form must be completed and sent to the local ticket office at least 3 working days before departure
- The cost of the UM service is $50 (in addition to the fare for the seat)
- Children aged 5 to 7 are only accepted as Unaccompanied Minors on flights with no transfers; children aged 8 to 11 may take routes as Unaccompanied Minors with transfers
- The parent or guardian dropping off the child must remain at the airport until at least 15 minutes after the flight’s departure
Make sure you have the appropriate documents for all children, whether traveling with you or alone
LIAT Airlines Pet Policy
- LIAT can transport domestic pets such as dogs, cats and birds. Pets are not permitted in the cabin but must be in the hold.
- Pets must be in containers not larger than 26 x 24 x 36 inches, where 36 is the maximum height.
- The total weight of the kennel plus animal may not weigh more than 70 pounds.
- Charges, one- way: 0 to 50 pounds, $100; 51 to 70 pounds, $150.
- You must bring the health certificates and other paperwork to transport your pet.
- Pets cannot be booked online; you must contact LIAT’s reservations either by email or by telephone.
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.