When you're planning a vacation or business trip to Brussels, you'll be interested to discover information, travel deals, tips, and tools to help you save time and money. You already know that Skyscanner is your go-to for booking the cheapest airfare to Brussels International Airport, but we can also help you find the best deals on hotels and resort accommodations, as well as rental car rates.
About Brussels International Airport
Brussels International (BRU) also called Zaventem, is located just seven miles from the city center of Brussels which is the capital of Belgium. The airport, remodeled in 2011, serves more than 24 million passengers each year. There are three levels to the single terminal building and three runways. The airport boasts an expansive retail area with duty-free shopping, dining, and bars. The airport has free WiFi in its many lounges.
Brussels Airport Transportation
Public transportation in Brussels is robust. There is a public bus station at the airport, and the fare to reach the city center and hotel districts costs $4 for the one-way trip which takes around 25 minutes. By car, taxi, or ridesharing service, you can expect the 12-mile trip to take around 20 minutes. For those departing from Brussels Airport, there is long-term parking available for a rate of $18 per day.
Destination Information and Money Saving Tips
Brussels is an important economic and cultural hub for the country of Belgium. It is the home of many multinational organizations and companies, as well as being the headquarters of NATO. The official language in Brussels is French; however, nearly one-third of the population speak English as a second language.
When looking to save money, you will find that flexibility is the key. If you're able to travel to or from nearby cities, you may be able to find a better deal on flights. Easily include nearby cities in your search by checking a box under departure and destination in Skyscanner. You may also find changing your arrival city or final destination to a larger airport helpful in lowering the total cost. Here are a few airports nearby:
- Antwerp Deurne Airport 17 miles from Brussels International Airport
- Brussels Charleroi Airport 22 miles from Brussels International Airport
- Liege Airport 35 miles from Brussels International Airport
In addition to including nearby airports in your search, you can also save money by finding out the best dates to travel using the cheapest month search. Skyscanner can also help save you money on flights from the United States to Brussels International Airport. Did you know that Skyscanner searches the internet to discover the lowest prices on Brussels, Belgium hotels and resorts that are priced for every budget? If saving money is your thing, be sure to download our handy new mobile app so that you can search for and compare deals car rental prices too!
When looking for other ways to save money, it's helpful to know which economy airlines use this airport. Here are a few options.
- KLM Airlines
- Turkish Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
Seeing Brussels on a Budget
We know that it's not easy to find low-cost sightseeing opportunities when you are traveling. There are many tourist attractions in the area that are low-cost or free and will keep you on your budget. Here are a few ideas.
- Le Sablon is the antique shopping area in Brussels. You'll meet some of the area's most colorful characters at the local cafes, and bars as well. Le Perroquet is an Art Nouveau bar and restaurant serving up quick and tasty pitas. On Sunday mornings the area is home to an open-air flea market.
- Looking for the best Belgium Draught? Moeder Lambic is the bar for you. Be sure to ask the waiters for help picking the perfect locally and regionally crafted beer for you.
- Explore the Sainte Catherine and the Antoine Dansaert. It's difficult to resist the alternative vibe this centrally-located cultural area serves up. By combining city life with more touristy activities, there is something for everyone here.