When you're planning a vacation or business trip to Cartagena, you need information, travel deals, tips, and tools designed to help you save time and money. You already know that Skyscanner is great for booking the cheapest airfare to Cartagena Airport, but did you know that we can also have the inside line on finding you the best deals on hotels and resort accommodations, as well as searching for the lowest rental car rates?
About Cartagena Airport
Cartagena (CTG) also known as Rafael Núñez International Airport is the main airport serving the area between the Caribbean coast and the Ciénaga de la Virgen marsh located in northern Cartagena. As the fourth busiest airport in the country, it is a large facility serving over 4 million passengers who pass through each year. The airport boasts an expansive retail area with duty-free shopping, dining, and bars. The airport has free WiFi in its many lounges. The airport is located 12 miles from the city center of Cartagena.
Cartagena Airport Transportation
Public transportation system in Colombia is well developed. From the airport, you can catch a public to the city center and hotel district for a fare of $4 one-way. This trip takes around 25 minutes. By car, taxi, or ridesharing service, you can expect the 12-mile trip to take around 20 minutes. For those departing from Cartagena Airport, there is long-term parking available for a rate of $16 per day.
Destination Information and Money Saving Tips
Cartagena is an important financial hub for the country of Colombia. Located on the northern coast, it is very popular with locals and tourists alike. Because of its location, Cartagena is a port for charter boats that travel between the countries of Colombia and Panama. This offers tourists yet another way to see the city. Crime in Cartagena is somewhat less than in other areas of Colombia. However, visitors should be alert at all times.
When looking to save money, having flexibility is the key. If you're able to travel to or from nearby cities, you may be able to find a better deal on flights. Easily include nearby cities in your search by checking a box under departure and destination from the Skyscanner search page. You may find changing your arrival city or final destination to a nearby or larger airport most helpful in lowering the total cost of your airfare. With that in mind, here are a few airports nearby:
- Barranquilla Airport 57 miles from Cartagena Airport
- Tolu Airport 62 miles from Cartagena Airport
- Corozal Airport 72 miles from Cartagena Airport
In addition nearby airports, you can also save money by finding out which are the cheapest dates to travel using the cheapest month search. Skyscanner can also help save you money on flights from the United States to Cartagena Airport. Did you know that Skyscanner searches the internet to discover the lowest prices on Cartagena, Colombia hotels and resorts that are priced for every budget? If saving money is your thing, be sure to download our handy new mobile app so that you can search for and compare deals on Cartagena car rentals too!
Knowing which of Colombia's economy carriers use this airport is also helpful when planning your budget trip. These include:
- Spirit Airlines
- Viva Colombia
- Surinam Airways
- Santa Barbara Airlines
Seeing Cartagena on a Budget
It's often challenging to find things to do that don't cost an arm and a leg when traveling abroad. Here are a few ideas that won't bust your budget.
- Centro Amurallado - Old Town - this is the heart of the city. The centuries-old walls were built to protect the city from pirates. Today, you will find shops, markets, and restaurants inside the fortress.
- Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas - Yet another fortress. This historic site was built in the 1500s. Strategically located, but never used defensively, the Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas took more than 150 years to complete. Visitors now can tour battlements, and explore underground passageways.
- Rosario Islands - Escape to paradise, one hour south of the Bay of Cartagena you'll find this small group of islands. Clear waters and interesting marine life make it a choice spot for diving.