When is the Best Time to Visit Australia?
Many factors can influence your decision about when to visit visit Australia. These include the following:
- Weather in Australia
- Desired Australia destinations
- Current Australia flight deals
- Historical Australia flight price data
Of course, you’ll want to reconcile each of these with your own schedule, and account for the possibility that searching Skyscanner for flights to Australia might yield an unexpected last-minute deal.
The Top Flight Deals to Australia
|Los Angeles (LAX)||Sydney (SYD)||$520|
|San Francisco (SFO)||Sydney (SYD)||$600|
|New York (JFK)||Sydney (SYD)||$689|
|Los Angeles (LAX)||Melbourne (MEL)||$517|
|Chicago (ORD)||Sydney (SYD)||$706|
|San Francisco (SFO)||Melbourne (MEL)||$600|
|Dallas (DFW)||Sydney (SYD)||$673|
**The prices above are valid as of 4/23/19 and are subject to change. Be sure to check prices for the entire month to find the best price
When is the Weather in Australia Best?
If weather is a key factor in your Australia trip plan, we recommend visiting Australia during the Southern hemisphere spring or autumn seasons, which fall between September-November and March-May. During these periods, weather is cool, comfortable and dry, whether you’re on the beaches of the Whitsunday Islands in the north, or the city streets of Melbourne in the south.
Australia’s summer, meanwhile, brings unbearably hot temperatures to most of the country between December-February, and since Australian school children are at home, this can be a crowded and expensive time to travel. Winter in Australia lasts from June-August, and isn’t particularly cold for the most part, but can actually be a cheap and tranquil time to travel.
When to Visit Top Australia Destinations
Another factor that can influence the best time to influence Australia is where you intend to travel. When it comes to Australia’s top destinations, consider the following:
- Sydney: Beach bums will want to visit popular Bondi Beach during the summer months of December, January and February, while those looking to hike in the Blue Mountains should come in autumn, March-May.
- Melbourne: Cultural Melbourne, from hip Fitzroy to seaside St. Kilda, is one of Australia’s most evergreen destinations, with plenty of indoor activities. If you plan to travel outside the city to the scenic Great Ocean Road, come during shoulder months like November or March for light crowds and warm weather.
- Great Barrier Reef: The best time to visit Australia’s most famous natural treasure is from June-October, when rainfall is rare and plentiful sunshine illuminates the treasures of the Reef’s vibrant ecosystem.
- Uluru and Alice Springs: Consider visiting Australia’s “Red Center” during spring (September-November) or autumn (March-May) to avoid scorching temperatures and the crowds of summer.
- Perth: The world’s most isolated metro area is blessed with great weather most of the year, and light crowds too. The city’s beaches are at their most beautiful during summer (December-February), while autumn (March-May) is the best time to visit the wineries of nearby Margaret River.
These individual concerns become less pressing if you plan to travel to Australia for a longer period of time, or if you plan to avoid the tourist trail in top destinations.
The Cheapest Time to Fly To Australia
Skyscanner has analyzed historical booking data to predict when you can save money on your flights to Australia. We recommend flying in November, where flight prices can be up to 13% cheaper than the average yearly ticket price. The next best month is August, with prices 8% less expensive than average.
Avoid flying to Australia in December, where the average flight price from the US reaches $1,434. This should come to no surprise as Australia’s summer starts on December 1st—temperatures reach their yearly highs and so do flight prices!
When is the Best Time to Book Flights to Australia?
Wondering when to book your flight to Australia for the most savings? While we don’t recommend traveling to Australia in December, this month seems to be the best month to book your flights for the following year. Flight prices can be as much as 15% cheaper than the average yearly flight price. The next best months to book your flights to Australia are November, September and July. Avoid booking in May, where prices climb to almost $1400 round-trip.
Avoid high flight prices to the Land Down Under by booking strategically. Whether you’re traveling to experience (or avoid) a specific season, or are simply looking for an amazing deal anytime of year, Skyscanner’s got you covered. The time to start planning is now, however, so take a break from browsing kangaroo selfies on Instagram to search cheap flights to Melbourne! Or enter your own search parameters below 👇