So When is the Best Time to Visit Niagara Falls?
The best time to visit Niagara Falls is October. High is still near 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the crowds have thinned out to near their lowest levels, and fall festivals are being held in the region.
Harvest dinners in wine cellars, trick or treating at the zoo, the Niagara marathon, and the Buffalo International Film Festival are all held in October.
The average high temperature in October is about 60.2°F while the average low is 40.2°F.
It certainly gets chilly in October, so if you’re not a fan of winter coats, consider visiting in the summer months (June-August) when temperatures are closer to 80 degrees (but crowds are at their peaks).
On the contrary, if you don’t mind the cold, winter can be a magical time to visit the falls. The lows fall below freezing (average high 25°F/low 18°F) in December-February, but that means the areas around the falls freeze into crazy, natural ice sculptures. On the Canadian side, at nearby Queen Victoria Park visitors can check out the Winter Festival of Lights from November to January.
When to Visit Niagara Falls Based On…
|Weather||June-August offers highs in the 70-80°F |
February is the driest month
|Wine Tasting||Wine tasting is most enjoyable June-August|
|To Save Money||Shoulder Season: March/April and October/November|
|To Avoid Crowds||The winter months (December-February)|
|Sightseeing||Shoulder Season: March/April and October/November|
for decent temperatures and fewer tourists
Some Tips on the Best Time to Visit Niagara Falls:
- When visiting the Canadian side of the falls, look into getting the discount card/bus pass to save money if you plan on doing more sightseeing.
- Yes, we said wine tasting. Southern Ontario offers visitors plenty of wineries and varietals to sample, and summer is the best time to visit. There’s even a Niagara Wine Festival held yearly in June.
- Buffalo’s Larkin Square hosts the city’s top food trucks and live music every Tuesday from April 23 – October 1.
When is the Cheapest Time to Fly to Niagara Falls?
Here at Skyscanner, we like to analyze our data from millions of flight searches to determine the cheapest time to book specific flights and the cheapest month to travel to any given destination.
Here’s when to book for the cheapest prices on flights to Buffalo Niagara Falls (BUF), based on flight booking data from 2018:
- We predict January will be the cheapest month to fly to Niagara with prices up to 37% cheaper than the average yearly flight price.
- Traveling to Niagara Falls in July is likely to be the most expensive. We expect costs during this month to be as much as 41% higher than average.
- Flights in October (our recommended month!) are only $250 roundtrip on average from NYC, L.A., and Chicago.
When is the Best Time to Book Flights to Niagara Falls?
After analyzing our data on flight bookings from last year, these are our predictions on the best time to book flights to Niagara Falls in 2019:
- The cheapest time to book a flight to Buffalo/Niagara is January, followed by October.
- Booking a flight in January can see as much as 35% savings compared to the average yearly flight price.
- The most expensive month to book a flight to Niagara: June