Cheapest Month to Travel to Hawaii
- One of the main airports you can arrive to in Hawaii is Honolulu International Airport, Oahu (HNL), which we’ve set as our destination for the purposes of this data
- Skyscanner estimates January and September to be the cheapest months to fly to Hawaii in 2019
- February, April, October, and November will also likely offer cheap flight options.
- Avoid traveling in June and December, where flight prices can be up to 43% more expensive than the average yearly ticket price
Ready to say “Aloha” to breath-taking beach sunsets and ocean waves? Do it in January & September! Our historical data shows that flights to Honolulu are 31% cheaper for trips made in September versus the yearly average price.
Best Time to Book Flights to Hawaii
- September is the cheapest month to book your flights to Hawaii with savings up to 19% compared to the average yearly ticket price
- October and August also have significantly lower prices than the rest of the year, though not as inexpensive as September.
- April is the most expensive month to book your flights to Hawaii, with prices 24% more than the average ticket price
Although savings certainly matters, there are other factors that might determine when you want to travel to Hawaii…things like weather, the crowds, and big events.
Although there isn’t really a bad weather condition at any time of year in Hawaii, some months offer a combination of conditions that some travelers like better or worse:
|January||Wet Winter Season||Cool, Rainy, Overcast||Fair|
|February||Wet Winter Season||Cool, Rainy, Overcast||Fair|
|March||Wet Spring Season||Warm, Rainy, Overcast||Good|
|April||Dry Spring Season||Warm, Sunny||Excellent|
|May||Dry Spring Season||Warm, Sunny||Excellent|
|June||Dry Summer Season||Hot, Sunny||Excellent|
|July||Dry Summer Season||Hot, Sunny||Good|
|August||Dry Summer Season||Hot, Sunny||Good|
|September||Dry Autumn Season||Warm, Sunny||Excellent|
|October||Dry Autumn Season||Cool, Sunny||Good|
|November||Wet Autumn Season||Cool, Rainy, Overcast||Fair|
|December||Wet Winter Season||Cool, Rainy, Overcast||Fair|
The bustle of a busy tourist area is no fun at all for some, and the whole reason to show up for others. Whichever of those camps you fall into, it can help determine the best time for you to visit Hawaii:
- Avoid December if you can. Christmas crowds making thing tricky, and travel is expensive
- November (except for Thanksgiving) is the quietest travel month of the year in Hawaii.
- Other slow months include May, September, and October
- If you prefer busy times with the bustling energy, aim for June, July, or August
- April can be light on crowds, except during the popular Japanese holiday Golden Week and any year when Easter happens during the month.
Events and Seasons
- Surfing Season runs from November through March
- Snorkeling and Swimming is best between May and September
- Whale watching season runs from December through April, with the best times in February and early March.
- Skiing and Snowboarding is best in February and March.
- The best stargazing is during the summer, with major meteor showers in July, August, and November.
Things to Remember about the Cheapest Time to Book Flights to Hawaii
Best time to book flights to Honolulu is 17 weeks (roughly 5 months) in advance
-If you aren’t ready to plan a trip so far in advance, we recommend booking 8 weeks out, when tickets are nearly 24% cheaper than the yearly average
-The best month to fly to Hawaii is in September when tickets are 31% cheaper than the yearly average price
-Use Skyscanner Price Alerts to track flight prices automatically
There are key steps you can take to find the best time to book and increase your chances of securing the cheapest prices on air travel. These steps include using our Best Time to Book Flights to Paris recommendations, Cheapest Month Search feature and setting up Price Alerts.