Few old-fashioned wedding traditions have stood the test of time. Weekday weddings, simple receptions (cake in the church basement), one-gender bridal parties, matching bridesmaid dresses and “not seeing each other before the ceremony” have all but disappeared.
Elopement, though, isn’t something new, and it’s coming back in a big way. Simple weddings, including a table-for-two adventure, are becoming more popular by the minute.
Reasons to Elope
Why elope? Here’s a quick list of reasons squarely in the “pro” column, and we bet you can add more reasons, too:
- Weddings with a huge guest list are expensive
- Elopement saves time; no year-long planning is necessary
- Wedding planning is stressful
- Attitudes about the nature of weddings are changing
- Couples elope to escape religious requirements
- Elopement makes sense if family members don’t approve of the couple
Everything requires planning, and even elopement planning is a thing:
Here are a few ideas, locations, hotels and car rental options for your magical day:
Head to Lake Tahoe (so cliche, right? But hear us out!) for an elopement planned by Four Seasons. You’ll get snow-capped peaks and dazzling blue water, vista views, waterfalls, wildflowers and beautiful beaches. You can get a $290 elopement package for two, which includes:
- Ceremony in outdoor gazebo
- Minister fee
- Marriage license
- Traditional music (or your CD)
- Decorative certificate in a wedding book
Our favorite romantic luxurious hotel in Lake Tahoe is The Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe. This 4 star hotel has every amenity a couple looking to bask in love could ask for. The Lodge is located right on the lake with picture perfect views year round, full service spa, restaurants, golf course, and ski rentals to name a few of their amenities.
A package for $18,000 includes:
- Assistance with obtaining marriage license
- Wedding planner
- Ceremony with religious or civil celebrant
- Bouquet and boutonniere
- Three-post arch with two flower arrangements
- Professional photographer for one hour
- Private four-course beach dinner for bride and groom
This secluded location may seem like a world away, but flights from the US start at 300 R/T. Book your flight to North Eleuthera (ELH) for your elopement.
If you’re both the outdoorsy type, consider an elopement that’s got “adventure” written all over it. Stein Eriksen Lodge is a great option for accommodations at Deer Valley in Park City, Utah. You can ski and hike to your heart’s content before and after your nuptials (and heck, why not during them, too?)
Here’s the Stein Lodge Wedding package guide.
Travel to Hawaii for an undoubtedly exotic option. Maui Aloha Wedding packages can offer a reasonable package for your budget. Here’s a quick snapshot of what they offer:
- Professional planning of your wedding (Optional – On-site coordination may be added to package)
- Assistance selecting your ceremony location
- Assistance obtaining your Hawaii marriage license
- We will schedule your meeting with a local marriage license agent
- Includes State of Hawaii requirements for beach permit and liability insurance
- A licensed and experienced officiant to perform your ceremony
- Two fresh flower or ti leaf leis for lei ceremony
- Tying the Knot ceremony
- Pouring of sand ceremony with keepsake vessel
- Sparkling cider toast
- Marriage license processing (after ceremony)
- Signing ceremony with commemorative certificate
Hotel locations vary depending on what’s best for you and airport transfers are available. Check out a video for a view of potential gorgeous Maui beach bliss wedding locations.
Elope in Style
With the elopement trend in full force, why not pick some of the most beautiful locations in the world.
Looking for the best daily flight deals to anywhere in the world? Check out our daily flight deals page and grab the cheapest flights with the highest savings today. Book free now!
Skyscanner Hotel Deals Finder helps you search, compare and book cheap hotel deals from around the world. Skyscanner Search finds you apartments, hostels, all-inclusive resorts and hotels from hundreds of providers.
Looking for cheap flights or want to enjoy a last-minute holiday? Every week we round up the best travel deals and the cheapest flights to a variety of destinations – all under $100! Whether it’s a sunny beach or a budget weekend getaway you’re looking for, check out the best prices right here before you book.
Our useful flight price tracker will keep an eye on your chosen flight and let you know as soon as the price drops – or if it starts to rise.
Last-minute flights used to be the go-to for travelers looking for cheap flights. But in the age of budget airlines, are last-minute flight deals impossible to find today?.
Do you ever find yourself trapped in an endless hunt for the best flight deal on the web? Skyscanner has gathered a list of tips and tricks to ensure you always get the best price.