Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes
With the emergence of Airbnb and other accommodation solutions, travelers have more choice than ever before. However, when it comes to booking a place to stay for your next trip, which is the better alternative?
There are a few points to consider before finding your perfect option in an Airbnb vs Hotels comparison.
- Is the accommodation for business?
- Where to stay if I’m traveling alone?
- What alternative is better for traveling with children?
- Check Airbnb reviews
- Compare hotel reviews
- Compare cheaper alternative for travelling in groups
- Consider cheaper hotel tips
- Are there boutique hotels?
- Could there be quirky accommodation options?
Personally, I’ve been fond of using both Airbnb and hotels. Flexibility and variation are, after all, a part of the journey. Every city is different and we’re always looking for something new in each place we visit, so where we stay plays a huge role in our overall experience.
Why stay in a Hotel vs Airbnb
There are a few questions you must ask before deciding whether to stay in a hotel or Airbnb. Who are you with? Where are you going and what do you want to get out of your trip?
When we stay in hotels we want luxury. We’re not only paying for the comfort and location, we’re also paying for the service. This includes the 24/7 check in, housekeeping and toiletries to name a few.
When I take short trips to big cities, I like to stay in a hotel. Short trips are usually about pressing the reset button and unwinding, so hotels provide the best quality when it comes to this.
Top reasons to stay in a hotel vs Airbnb:
- All the amenities are at hand and if they’re not, there’s someone to help you just a short phone call away.
- Hotels are usually situated in the perfect locations for sightseeing, business meetings and of course the restaurants and bars.
- They’re seemingly the better alternative when travelling with children. Whether it’s a kids’ club service you need, extra sheets in the early hours of the morning, a set up crib on arrival or even a theme park on site? Hotels make sure that your comfort and entertainment are well taken care of.
- Everything is guaranteed with hotels. You know exactly what you’re going to get when you walk in and how you’re supposed to leave it. It’s the familiar feeling we love to have when we travel.
Of course all of this comes at a price and depending on the location of your trip, staying at a hotel can compromise a budget quite easily. So if it’s the cheaper alternative you’re looking for or you’re traveling in a bigger group – hotels may not be the ideal option for you.Search Hotels on Skyscanner Search hotel deals in top cities
Why stay in an Airbnb vs Hotels
Airbnb has a huge database of places to stay, whether you fancied renting a beach bungalow in the Maldives, a tree house in Brazil or sharing a space with a local in Brooklyn, they’ve pretty much got you covered.
The places range from the basic to the downright fancy. Airbnbs work particularly well for groups traveling together or even a solo traveler looking for a more local experience. Airbnb is usually accommodation hosted by locals that live in the property or own it.
Top reasons to stay in an Airbnb vs Hotels
- Airbnb gives you the opportunity to rent an entire home or even a room in a shared space and pay by the night, rather than per person.This usually works out a lot cheaper for big groups.
- Having your own space (possibly even full-stocked kitchen, living room, etc) also provides you with a lot more freedom to relax, enjoy each-others’ company and of course cater for yourself.
- With Airbnb you shouldn’t expect any amenities or services and with a cleaning fee added on at the end of every booking – you definitely don’t receive a turn down service. This can sometimes translate to lower prices than hotels in the area.
Whatever source for sleep you choose, it’s always good to take note of some insider tips:
- If a hotel stay is more your vibe, boutique hotels tend to be a little cheaper so do some extra research on your next destination and always check Skyscanner’s hotel search to find the best vacation rental deal for your destination.
- Be sure to read Airbnb’s reviews on location, quality and security (this is usually a more reliable source than the actual listing) and always book with a reputable host.
Clearly, our choices and possibilities for travel and living are endless. Whatever it is you are looking for you are likely to find the perfect place to make your next destination exactly what you want it to be.
HAPPY TRAVELS! #letsgoeverywhere
|About the Author|
Abbey Wilson// The Travelling Sole
Abbey is a full time travel vlogger, who has been wandering the world since the age of 18. She shares all of her experiences on her YouTube Channel, The Travelling Sole. Check out her channel to learn more about her adventures and travel tips.