Not every trip is pre-planned. Whether you’re trying to find last-minute flights out of necessity or spontaneity, Skyscanner can help you find the right flight at a good price.
Just because you’re booking at the last minute doesn’t mean you’ll pay an inflated price for airfare. Just have a look at the low-priced routes that we pulled from our extensive flights’ database. If you’re looking for the best hacks to search for your own last-minute flights, our expert travels reveal their secrets for finding great deals.
How to search for low-priced, last-minute flights
Just because you need to find a flight ASAP doesn’t mean you lack options for getting a great deal. There are plenty of hacks you can use to find last-minute flights that don’t break the bank. Use these tips from our travel experts.
Last-minute flights for spontaneous travels
- Search every destination. If all you want to do is get away and you’re really flexible with your destination, then you can use Skyscanner’s Everywhere Search to see which routes are cheapest right now. All you do is select “Everywhere” as your destination and we’ll show you the cheapest flights available domestically and abroad.
- Search the most sought-after places. Popular tourist cities and resort areas will have a larger number of scheduled flights, leaving from more airports — so you’ve got a better shot at finding a deal. Plus, lots of major airlines will be flying these routes, so you can expect competitive prices.
- Get notified of price drops. Sometimes you know the destination but are waiting for the right price. Don’t waste your time repeatedly checking back — let us do the work. Set up a Price Alert for the route you want to watch and we’ll notify you as soon as the price moves.
- Sign up for newsletters. Those who are naturally spontaneity (or want to be) should take a long-term approach. By signing up for airlines’ newsletters, you’ll receive their sale alerts and coupon codes. Then you can just pick up and go when an offer catches your eye.
- Get deals delivered to your inbox. Sign up for Skyscanner’s newsletter and we’ll share the deals we spot from our huge flight database.
Last-minute flights when you need to travel
Travelers certainly have more options when they can be flexible on their destination for last-minute flights. But when you need to get away for personal or business reasons, you won’t have that luxury. There are a few tricks you can use when your destination is set in stone.
- Check nearby airports. Some destinations have multiple airports that service the area. This not gives you more airline options, itinerary options and, of course, different prices to choose from. Just select the “add nearby airports” option for both the departure and arrival cities when you start your flight search.
- Look at one-way tickets. Roundtrip flights aren’t always priced the best. Sometimes it can help to book two one-way tickets. You can also mix and match airlines that way. So search for both roundtrip and one-ways to see which last-minute flights price out the best.
- Pick up the phone. Some package vacation companies sell off last-minute trips at huge discounts when their customers cancel. (The same is true for hotel rooms). It’s worth calling and asking if they have any same-day deals.
- Play flight-fare chicken. If you’re daring enough, waiting until the very last second before making a move could pay off. Flight prices can drop as the departure date draws palm-sweatily closer. If you want to travel on Friday, but can’t find the right fare on Tuesday, don’t give up just yet — try Wednesday, Thursday and the big day itself before you throw in the towel.
Check out these deals on last-minute flights
Do you need inspiration for a spur-of-the-moment escape? Check out the bucket list destinations below. All these routes are priced lower than they usually go for!
Discover where you can go
Making plans to get back out there? Find out which countries you can visit and check the quarantine regulations for them with our interactive global map. Sign up, and you’ll even receive email updates when your top destinations reopen.