When travel isn’t possible, you can still experience the best a country has to offer through its cuisine. Skyscanner has collaborated with chefs, restaurants, brands and passionate home cooks from around the world to bring you a series of recipes you can make from your very own kitchen.
Stephanie Luk, Skyscanner, Singapore
My friend back home in Australia was feeling a little down with all that’s happening currently, so I helped her take her mind off things with a recipe to ‘transport’ her elsewhere. Here’s a dish that may help travellers who need to satisfy their fix of Chinese, Hong Kong or Taiwanese food.
- 1 block of soft tofu, chopped into small cubes
- 300g of minced meat of choice
- 1 small onion/shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2-3 bird’s eye chilli, depending on tolerance for spice
- A small chunk of ginger, diced
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 dollop of oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of douban sauce (spicy fermented bean paste)
- Cooking oil
- Sesame oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir-fry until it becomes aromatic.
- Add the minced meat, and cook till meat is browned.
- Pour the douban sauce over ingredients in the pan and cook until the sauce is fragrant.
- Add remaining seasoning: soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt and sugar.
- Gently add the tofu cubes.
- Add a little water, just enough to cover the tofu.
- Cook with a high heat for 10 minutes, with a lid on the pan.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook to let the sauce reduce.
- Add pepper and sesame oil to taste.
- Enjoy steaming hot, over a bowl of rice.