When travel isn’t possible, you can still experience the best a country has to offer through its cuisine. Skyscanner has collaborated with chefs, restaurants, brands and passionate home cooks from around the world to bring you a series of recipes you can make from your very own kitchen.
Nicole Renard, Content creator
I have a major sweet tooth, so one of my favourite parts about travelling is trying sweets from around the world. It’s so fun to see what different countries snack on and have for dessert. While I was studying abroad and living in New Zealand, I fell in love with lemon yo-yo cookies (or ‘biscuits’, if you’re kiwi), which have light lemon buttercream sandwiched between two small shortbread cookies. I knew I loved them before I even tasted them because they just look so good. The fun part about these cookies is that you can fill it with whatever you like – cranberry, lemon, chocolate, vanilla – it’s up to you! I hope you love it.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Add flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar and salt to a bowl and whisk until combined. With the mixer on low, add in the butter, 1 tbsp at a time until mixture is crumbly. Then add vanilla, and mix until dough is combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough and roll them, then place them on a baking sheet. Using a fork, press down on the tops. Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes until the cookies are dry on the bottom. Don’t wait for them to get brown!
- Allow the cookies to cool before filling.
- For the filling, mix the butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest and vanilla on high until the mixture is light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag, and pipe frosting onto one cookie and sandwich it with another cookie. You can use a butter knife or spatula for this too instead of the piping bag. Enjoy!