Terms of Service
Last updated: 21st March 2014
Who are we?
Skyscanner Limited (hereinafter "Skyscanner" or "us" or "we" as the context requires) is a private limited company, registered in the UK (Reg No - 04217916) based at Quartermile One, 15 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9EN. We are a leading global provider of flight and travel search services, serving millions of users every month with instant online comparisons for millions of flights, as well as car hire and hotels. When our users find a deal they want, we connect them to the relevant airline or travel agent to make a booking direct with that third party. We do not take bookings ourselves or hold any details of bookings or payments.
These terms and conditions govern your access to and use of this website and any other ‘Skyscanner’ branded or controlled website or section of a website (including, without limitation, a Skyscanner Facebook page or Twitter account) (the "Website") and any 'Skyscanner' branded applications (the "Apps"), as updated from time to time. Other services or materials operated or provided by Skyscanner (including, without limitation, the 'Skytools' branded widgets) or by third parties (including, without limitation, the “Booking via Skyscanner” service) may be subject to other terms and conditions, which will be indicated to you prior to use.
These terms and conditions constitute a legal agreement between you and Skyscanner (the "Agreement"). Please read them carefully before using the Website or Apps. By downloading, accessing or using the Website or Apps in any way, you are confirming that you have read and understood these terms and conditions and have agreed to be bound by them.
Skyscanner may amend these terms and conditions at any time at its discretion. If these terms and conditions are amended, Skyscanner shall display the revised terms and conditions on the Website and the Apps. You will be deemed to have accepted any amendments if you continue using the Website or Apps after the amendments are displayed.
If you do not agree to comply with these terms and conditions or any amendments to them, please stop using the Website and Apps immediately.
‘Booking via Skyscanner’
1. Use of the Website and Apps
- 1.1 Skyscanner operates and controls the Website and Apps and provides them to you in its absolute discretion.
- 1.3 Skyscanner may withdraw or change the Website or Apps at any time in its absolute discretion, including, but not limited to, suspending access to the Website or Apps, inserting advertising in the Website or Apps and limiting the number of flight prices that can be accessed using the Website.
- 1.4 In consideration of Skyscanner permitting you to use the Website and/or Apps, you agree to comply with these terms and conditions. All other uses of the Website and Apps other than as set out in these terms and conditions are prohibited.
2. Restrictions and unauthorised activities
2.1 Your permission to use the Website and Apps as set out in paragraph 1 above is conditional upon your compliance with these terms and conditions and is subject to the following restrictions:
- you must not access or in any way exploit any underlying data, code, content or other material provided by Skyscanner in conjunction with the Website or Apps.
- you must ensure that any travel bookings concluded on the Website or via the Apps are concluded between you and Skyscanner's travel operator partners and not via any unauthorised intermediary.
- you must not use the Website or Apps in any way for your own commercial gain.
- you must not edit, remove, alter, tamper with, or in any way change the Website or Apps or any part of them.
- you must not (and must not authorise others to) copy, distribute, communicate to the public, sell, rent, lend or otherwise use the Website or Apps other than as permitted pursuant to paragraph 1 above.
- you must comply with all laws and regulations when using the Website or Apps and must not use them for illegal or illegitimate purposes.
- you must not use the Website or Apps in any manner whatsoever that may prejudice or damage Skyscanner's business.
- you must not transmit any material that is defamatory, offensive or otherwise objectionable in relation to your use of the Website and/or Apps.
- you must not use the Website or Apps in a way that could damage, disable, overburden, impair or compromise Skyscanner's systems or security or interfere with other users.
- you must not infringe our intellectual property rights or those of any third party in relation to your use of the Website or Apps.
- to the extent that the Website is hosted on a third party website (for example, Facebook or another social media website) and there are separate terms and conditions of use relating to that third party website, you agree to fully comply with such terms and conditions.
- 2.2 You acknowledge and agree that any flight and pricing information provided on the Website or via the Apps is made available by Skyscanner's suppliers and partners or has been gathered from public domain sources. By using the Website and/or Apps, you agree that price quotes made for you or on your behalf using Skyscanner's live update facility may be displayed to other users of the Website or Apps. Skyscanner recommends that you read the terms and conditions of use of any website operated by any third party before purchasing flights or any other products or relying on information contained in them.
2.3 To the extent that the Website and/or Apps provides a platform (“Sharing Platform”) that allows you to post, upload or make available or in any way transmit (“Share”) information, images, video, or any other media formats (“User Content”) on the Website and/or Apps, you warrant that:
you shall not Share any User Content that:
- is plagiarised from any third party or contains any third party material or content for which you have not obtained all necessary licenses, consents and/or approvals;
- is unlawful, defamatory, obscene, indecent, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence and/or in breach of privacy;
- constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world;
- is technically harmful (including, without limitation, containing computer viruses);
- you shall not use a Sharing Platform for your own commercial advantage, or to promote or advertise commercially on behalf of any third party;
- you shall not use any Sharing Platform to Share, email, or link to any advertisements or junk-mail;
- you shall not misrepresent, impersonate, or be in any way misleading as your identity, nor suggest in any way that you are sponsored, affiliated or connected in any way with Skyscanner; and
- you shall not Share any User Content containing personal information which could be used to identify any third party individual without having first obtained the necessary consents and approvals from that third party.
- you shall not Share any User Content that:
2.4 To the extent that you use any Sharing Platform, you acknowledge that:
- Skyscanner is under no obligation to store, retain, publish or make available any images or information uploaded by you and such information may be deleted at any time;
- Skyscanner reserves the right to edit, delete, refuse to publish any User Content that you Share which we at our sole discretion consider in violation of these terms and conditions, or for any other reason as we see fit.
- 2.5 To the extent that you do not own the device(s) on which you access the Website or download or use the Apps, you will be assumed to have obtained permission from the owners of that device(s). You acknowledge that you and they may be charged by your and their service providers for internet access on the devices and that Skyscanner shall not be liable in any way for such costs.
- 2.6 To the extent that you Share any User Content on a Sharing Platform, you hereby grant Skyscanner and its group companies a nonexclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferrable and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce both electronically and otherwise, display, distribute, modify, adapt, publish, translate, and create derivative works from any and all such User Content, including for the purposes of advertising and marketing.
- 2.1 Your permission to use the Website and Apps as set out in paragraph 1 above is conditional upon your compliance with these terms and conditions and is subject to the following restrictions:
3. Skyscanner's property
- 3.1 All intellectual property rights including, but not limited to, copyright (including copyright in computer software), patents, trade marks or business names, design rights, database rights, know-how, trade secrets and rights of confidence in the Website and Apps (together, the "Intellectual Property Rights") are owned or licensed by Skyscanner. You acknowledge that rights in the Website and Apps are licensed (not sold or otherwise transferred) to you and that by using the Website and/or Apps, you will not acquire any right or interest in the Website or in the Apps or in the Intellectual Property Rights. You further acknowledge that you have no right to have access to the Apps in source-code form.
3.2 You shall not:
- remove, alter or replace any notices of authorship, trade marks, business names, logos or other designations of origin on the Website or Apps or pass off or attempt to pass off the Website or Apps as the product of anyone other than Skyscanner.
- use any automated computer program or application to scan, copy, index, sort or otherwise exploit the Website or Apps or any part thereof.
- 3.3 You acknowledge that the Website and Apps includes content, pricing information, data and brand names owned by Skyscanner's partners ("Partner Materials"). The restrictions at paragraph 3.2 above shall apply equally to Partner Materials.
- 3.4 By using the Website and/or Apps, you undertake not to reverse-engineer any underlying software or circumvent any technological protections embodied in them.
- 3.5 You shall ensure that no disruptive computer program code, virus, ‘denial of service’ or ‘spam’ attack, worm, Trojan horse, authorisation key, licence control utility or software lock is introduced by you or anyone authorised by you onto the Website or the Apps.
4.1 By using the Website and/or Apps and hence accepting these terms and conditions, you warrant and represent to Skyscanner that:
- you will not use the Website or Apps other than in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- you will not use the Website or Apps in any manner which may cause damage to Skyscanner or bring Skyscanner into disrepute
- your use of the Website and Apps will not infringe the rights of any third party.
- 4.1 By using the Website and/or Apps and hence accepting these terms and conditions, you warrant and represent to Skyscanner that:
5. Disclaimer of liability
- 5.1 Your use of the Website and/or Apps is entirely at your own risk. While Skyscanner will endeavour to ensure that the content of the Website and Apps is up-to-date and accurate, Skyscanner cannot guarantee the reliability or accuracy of the content contained in them and you should not rely on such content. You are responsible for the security of any data stored remotely on the electronic device used to access or use the Website and/or Apps and Skyscanner accepts no liability in respect of any loss or damage to such data.
5.2 Skyscanner makes no representations and does not warrant to you that the Website or Apps:
- are accurate, complete or up to date;
- will always be available;
- are secure or are free from errors, faults, defects, viruses or malware.
- 5.3 Although there is currently no charge for the use of the Website or Apps, Skyscanner expressly reserves the right to charge for use of the Website or Apps or any part of them at a later date.
- 5.4 Skyscanner has no responsibility whatsoever for any arrangements you make with any third party as a result of your use of the Website and/or Apps (including, without limitation, any Booking Partner). In particular, Skyscanner shall not be responsible for the transmission of funds between you and any third party provider, partner or distributor with whom you choose to deal. You shall be responsible for all contractual arrangements, payments due and any associated transmission of funds on the terms you agree with any such third party provider, partner or distributor. Where the Website or Apps contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties (including, without limitation, the Booking Service), these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
- 5.5 You may see advertising material submitted by third parties on the Website or Apps. Each individual advertiser is solely responsible for the content of its advertising material and Skyscanner accepts no responsibility for the content of advertising material, including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein.
- 5.6 This Agreement sets out the full extent of Skyscanner's obligations and liabilities in respect of the Website and Apps. You shall have no remedy in respect of any untrue statement made to you upon which you relied in entering into this Agreement (unless such untrue statement was made knowing that it was untrue) other than any remedy you may have for breach of the express terms of this Agreement. Accordingly, any condition, warranty or other term concerning the supply of or failure to supply the Website or Apps which might for this paragraph 5.6 have effect between Skyscanner and you or would otherwise be implied or incorporated into this Agreement or any collateral contract (including, without limitation, the implied terms of satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose), whether by statute, common law or otherwise, is hereby excluded to the fullest extent permissible by law and Skyscanner shall not be liable to you in tort, delict or otherwise pursuant to the express terms of this Agreement in respect of the subject matter of this Agreement or the supply or non-supply of the Website or Apps. This statement shall not affect any of your statutory rights.
- 5.7 You should always obtain professional advice before making any decision which is prompted by the Website or Apps or information you have been provided by Skyscanner that may have legal or financial implications.
5.8 To the maximum extent permitted by the law (and except in respect of death or personal injury arising out of the negligence of Skyscanner or in respect of fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation) Skyscanner does not accept any liability for:
- any inaccuracies or omissions in the content of the Website or Apps, or
- any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind incurred by you arising in connection with your access to, use of, or inability to use, the Website or Apps or any content contained in them,
- 5.9 Skyscanner cannot be held liable for any User Content made available via any Sharing Platforms.
- 5.10 Skyscanner makes no representation that materials or information on the Website or Apps are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United Kingdom and accessing or using the Website or Apps from territories where its contents are illegal or unlawful is prohibited. If you choose to access the Website or Apps from locations outside the United Kingdom, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
- 5.11 Owing to the nature of the Internet and the fact that your access to the Website or Apps involves functionality outside Skyscanner's control, Skyscanner is not responsible for technical problems that you may experience with the Website or Apps.
- 6.1 You will be responsible to us for all actions, claims, proceedings, costs, damages, losses and expenses (including, without limitation, legal fees) incurred by us or our group arising out of your use of the Website or Apps or breach of these terms and conditions and, where you are a business, you agree to keep us fully and effectively indemnified from and against the same.
- 7.1 Skyscanner may in its absolute discretion immediately terminate this Agreement upon notice to you. Skyscanner may suspend your use of the Website or Apps without notice at any time, without incurring any liability to you whatsoever.
8. Consequences of termination
8.1 Immediately upon termination of this Agreement:
- you will not have the right to use the Website or Apps and all permissions set out in paragraph 1 shall cease.
- you shall immediately delete any information received or used by you which relates to the Website or Apps, including deleting any cookies and copies of the Website and Apps and, where requested by Skyscanner, confirm in writing that you have done so.
- 8.1 Immediately upon termination of this Agreement:
10. Legal remedies
- 10.1 You acknowledge that the unauthorised use of the Website and/or Apps may result in irreparable damage and injury to Skyscanner and/or its affiliates or licensors for which money damages would be inadequate. Consequently, in the event of such unauthorised use, Skyscanner, its affiliates and/or licensors (as applicable) shall have the right, in addition to any other legal remedies available to them, to seek an immediate injunction against you prohibiting any further use of the Website and/or Apps.
- 10.2 Nothing in these terms and conditions shall be interpreted to limit the remedies available pursuant to statutory or other legal authority that Skyscanner, its affiliates and/or licensors may have.
11. Infringement of your copyright
- 11.1 We respect the intellectual property rights of others. If you have reason to believe that your copyright is being infringed by any content on the Website or Apps, please send a written notification of such infringement to the address stated at the beginning of these terms and conditions marked for the attention of ‘General Counsel’.
12. General provisions
- 12.1 The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision (in whole or part) of these terms and conditions shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions (in whole or part). The whole or part of any provision which is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable shall be deemed deleted from these terms and conditions.
- 12.2 These terms and conditions are personal to you. You shall not be entitled to assign this Agreement in whole or in part to any third party without Skyscanner's prior written consent.
- 12.3 These terms and conditions represent the entire agreement between Skyscanner and you and supersede any previous arrangements.
- 12.4 Skyscanner will act promptly to any indications of User Content that is in breach of these Terms. Where you know of or suspect any illegal activities, or know of or suspect that works belonging to you have been infringed, please write to the address provided above.
- 12.5 Any failure by Skyscanner to enforce any of the terms of these terms and conditions shall not be considered to be a waiver of them or the right to subsequently enforce any terms of these terms and conditions.
- 12.6 A person who is not a party to these terms and conditions shall have no right under UK legislation, including the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, to enforce any provision of these terms and conditions but this shall not affect any right or remedy of a third party which exists or is available apart from that Act.
- 12.7 Irrespective of the country from which you access or use the Website or Apps, your use of the Website or Apps is governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you are deemed to have submitted to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
13. Contact Us
- 13.1 If you require further information about Skyscanner or have any suggestions concerning how to improve the Website or Apps, please contact us at us by using the Contact Us feedback form.